Appealing a Magistrates’ Court Decision

The majority of cases prosecuted in England & Wales are disposed of in the Magistrates’ Court. These cases are usually funded by the public through Legal Aid. Over the last two decades, legal aid funding for criminal cases in the Magistrates’ Court has been curtailed significantly. Publicly funded lawyers are often under severe financial pressure and have very little time to fully dedicate themselves to legal aided cases. Consequently, there are growing numbers of dissatisfied clients appealing their convictions or sentences to the Crown Court. Public funding will undergo further cuts this year and eventually standards will diminish even further. Unfortunately, this is the harsh reality of the world we live in.

If you are dissatisfied with the representation you received at the Magistrate’s Court, or if you feel you didn’t get a fair hearing in your trial, I can help you appeal against your conviction or sentence, or both. You must lodge your appeal within 21 days of the date you were sentenced. If you don’t, you’ll have to ask the Crown Court for permission before you can appeal.

If you want to appeal, please contact me immediately, I have a very high success rate.

I can help you lodge your appeal and grounds. Once the appeal has been lodged, you will get a letter within 80 days of making your appeal to let you know when and where the hearing will take place. At the hearing, I will present your case to the Crown Court and secure the best possible outcome for you. At the conclusion of the hearing, you will be told whether you’ve won your appeal. If you win, you may be able to reclaim some of your legal costs back.

If you need help with your appeal, email me on or call me directly on 0207 440 8888.